Tuesday, January 17, 2006

No, I Won't Be Watching American Idol This Year

That's right.

I used to be a huge fan of AMERICAN IDOL. The first year, the right person won: Kelly Clarkson. The fact that she's now a superstar in spite of that dreadful FROM JUSTIN TO KELLY fiasco is testimony to her tremendous talent. Also, keep in mind, that Kelly's only had this success since she burned her bridges with the show.

The second year, Clay got robbed, like Al Gore. Reuben is a great talent, but based
on his last few performances on the show, he was clearly running out of gas. And the way Simon and the crew pimped Reuben unmercilessly, you knew he had to win.

The third year it was a foregone conclusion that Fantasia was going to win. No suspense whatsoever. But I still clung to the belief that this was a talent
show. Silly me.

Last year disabused me of that belief forever. The Paula scandal notwithstanding, the show had turned into a reality entertainment show. Talent was secondary
to the producers reality. I told my family that if Bo Bice lost and Paula remained as a host, I'd never watch the show again.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

No comments: